Sunday, February 6, 2011

80's child

     Went out last night for a friend's birthday in Brooklyn for a 90's theme party.  Jesus.  It certainly brought back some memories.  We started out at her apt with tasty finger foods, beer, champagne and, of course, a mix of 90's music.  I didn't dress up partly because I'm not big into costume parties, but there were flannels, doc martens and even a dude with a hand-painted Wayne's World cap.  Very nice. 
     At around 11pm we went to the evening's event at the Bell House where they have an annual remember the 90's party complete with a live band that played 90's cover songs.  I've never been to this venue, but it was quite large and the showroom had a barn-like feel.  Plenty of space on the floor and the band was decent.  I noticed that most everyone there was a bit younger.  I do enjoy going to see bands (I must admit that I don't do it often enough), but I prefer a less rauscous crowd and these folks didn't get too crazy.  The exception was the two girls jumping around in front of me with no regard to anyone around them.  I literally held my elbow out in front of me so that they wouldn't crash into me and instead feel the wrath of a pointed bone. The music was enjoyable and it brought me back to my high school days of grunge and alt rock music. 
     Towards the end of the show, however, I realized something.  Perhaps it was when the band apologized and played a Backstreet Boys song and the girls went nuts (I did indeed see guys singing it, as well).  I've always considered myself an 80's child, but this just confirmed it.  I didn't even recognize it as a BB song, but when I learned that it was I knew that the 90's was not my childhood decade.  Don't get me wrong, the 90's produced some great music and movies.  I was just shocked that this song was played. 
  Give me some Indiana Jones, Guns N Roses, Goonies, Van Halen, Back to the Future (to name a few) and I'm a happy man.  Our boy bands were those with great voices and harmony (Boys to Men) and not based on choreographed dance routines and pretty faces.  I feel like a lot of pop music has gone to the crapper.  Maybe I'm getting older and that's how older generations view younger ones.  If so, then take me back to the 80's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment