Monday, February 14, 2011

Hmm. Valentine's Day.

     February 14th, 2011.  I'm not sure why, but this whole morning for me has been an annoyance.  It's Valentine's Day and already on the way to work I was formulating a rant against this "day of love."  I'm not sure why I got so annoyed by it, but I had to vent.  Unfortunately, it took some time to edit what I had to say because facebook only allows 260 or so letters per post.  Mine was double that length.
    
     I'm not sure why we even celebrate Valentine's Day.  Is it so that the those who sell flowers can triple the already overpriced roses?  Is it so the diamond companies can make wonderful commercials that say, "Buy a diamond for the one you love.  Otherwise, you're not getting laid on this very special day."  Is it so the single women in the office can feel better when they see bouquet after bouquet being delivered to other women in the office?  Is it so men can look forward to an angry spouse when they completely forget that today is Valentine's Day?  The answer to these questions:  yes.

     Last night, I asked my wife if she wanted to have a special dinner  for Valentine's Day.  Nothing big.  Just a nice dinner at home with some wine.  I knew she wasn't big on celebrating V-Day (she's told me not to waste money on flowers on this particular day), but just to be on the safe side, I asked.  As I thought she would, she reiterated that it's not necessary to have a nice dinner on V-Day, so we've decided to have a nice dinner tomorrow night.  And this is one of the many reasons that I love her.  She doesn't buy into the bullshit that is fed to Americans that V-Day is more special than any other day.  I'm thinking that from here on out we'll celebrate on any day.......other than Valentine's Day.  

    

    
    
    

No comments:

Post a Comment